Our experienced team of professionals makes living at NEMA San Francisco a truly unique experience. NEMA is a community where individuals interact daily with our team, experiencing all that Mid-Market and the city has to offer. One of our NEMA Team Members is Christina Sundari, our Lifestyle Coordinator + Fitness Instructor. We asked Christina to share her unique perspective of the building, neighborhood and beyond with us.
What inspired you to begin a career in physical fitness?
After getting a divorce, I wanted to heal from the inside out and exercise was the only activity I did that made me feel at peace. Over time, I reinvented myself through fitness and truly enjoyed every workout I did from HIIT to cycling to running. I hadn't planned on ever teaching fitness, but I believe I was called to it because when I see a client smiling at me as they leave my class I feel a sense of extreme happiness and accomplishment.
“Sweat is the new black.”
Christina’s biggest inspirations: Oprah. “She paved the way for so many young girls, myself included, to achieve the impossible and use her power to uplift and help others.”
Princess Diana. Regardless of what was thrown at her, she always remained true to herself. Not even a monarchy could change who she was at her essence. Being a trailblazer is anything but glamorous, but she demonstrated to the world what it takes to get outside your comfort zone to do what you were called to do. The way she would touch people who needed her love truly inspires me, we need more people like Princess Di in the world.
“Standing for those who struggle inspires me. I struggled on my own many times, so to be able to lend a hand to anyone going through their own is an honor and privilege.”
What services do you offer residents at NEMA?
We offer a full gym, 11 group classes per week, workshops, health/wellness events, personal training, and massage!
Most rewarding part of your position?
I love being able to empower residents to feel and be stronger. They can take this new persona with them outside of the gym and into the real world, and that is what I truly love about my job.
The most popular fitness equipment at NEMA:
Treadmills, Pelotons, and squat rack. The treadmills are so popular we have to service them frequently, because they are so heavily used. Not a bad problem to have!
One thing we may not know about NEMA is: We have so many cute pets in the building! A kitten accidentally ran out of his apartment one time, so I "catsat" him during my shift until his owner came to pick him up. At NEMA, we care about our residents and their pets. :) One of my favorite client moments at NEMA is when I made my PUMP-HIIT class do a circuit for 10 rounds. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. By the end of the 10 rounds, they were exhausted, accomplished, and empowered. I did that for them, and that is why I love fitness.
“You can do anything you want, you just have to want it.”
List 10 tips to begin a fit New Year in 2020:
1) Drink lots of water.
2) Get plenty of sleep (naps if you have to!).
3) Be consistent with your workouts. Even if it is once a month, commit to SOMETHING because you have to start somewhere.
4) Wear gym clothing that makes you look and feel great.
5) Invest in comfortable workout shoes to prevent injury.
6) Incorporate greens into your diet at least once a day.
7) Read your nutrition labels, and know what you are eating.
8) Have a restorative practice like yoga, a long walk, or even just stretching out.
9) Meditate for at least 10 minutes per day.
10) Write down a positive mantra, stick it on your wall, and read it daily. Fitness starts with the mind, so when your mind is healthy you are able to do so much more.
Mark your calendars! Christina is hosting a special Playlist Spin ride on February 12th to celebrate Valentine's Day!
“Love is truly special, and fitness taught me so much about what self-love means. Whether you are celebrating with someone or on your own, Valentine's Day is a reminder to celebrate love in general.”
Just for fun:
- 3 words to describe NEMA: Classy, Innovative, Elevated
- Most popular fitness outing among NEMA residents? We did a Turkey Burn 5K after Thanksgiving and raffled off a free massage, which one of the residents was totally excited about!
- My favorite view enjoyed from NEMA during a workout: The rooftop
- Three apps I cannot live without are: Instagram, Text, Email
- 3 songs on my workout playlist: Virus by Martin Garrix, Body by Loud Luxury, Loyal by Odezsa
- My secret indulgence is: salted caramel cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory
- Who is your favorite fitness “celebrity”? @tarynslaterfitness - she is so kind, sweet, supportive, and inspirational - check her out!!
- Favorite lift: I love working with free weights, because you can easily track your progression. When I first got into exercise, 10 lbs were SO heavy! Today, I work with 20 lbs.
My favorite quote of all time is by Maya Angelou where she says, “Have enough courage to trust love one more time, and always one more time.”
Thanks for sharing your insight with us Christina and for being a part of the NEMA San Francisco team.
San Francisco Apartments Designed with You in Mind
Designed by Glenn Rescalvo, partner at Handel Architects, NEMA’s four linked apartment building towers range from 10 to 37 stories, painting a dynamic modern silhouette across the San Francisco skyline. Tech-savvy and design-driven, NEMA is a next generation luxury residential community at the forefront of San Francisco’s dynamic Mid-Market neighborhood renaissance. Find your San Francisco apartment at NEMA. Get social with us and follow our story on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. Use #liveNEMA to share with our team.